Which product is the best treatment for scar removal? Find the top cream for your wounds and avoid the bad ones to save your money and skin.
Your skin is like a canvas.
When it’s damaged, no matter how much make up you put on it, other people can see that beneath those layers you are damaged. When it’s healthy, even without make up, you already appear fresh and alive.
Having healthy skin is the result of both inner and outer treatment. On the inside, you must treat your body right by eating properly and doing enough exercise. Giving your body the right nutrition added with sweating toxins out will make your skin appear smoother and cleaner.
On the outside, you can use skin care treatment to repair or conceal any damages. This is especially useful when you want to get rid of or at least reduce the appearance of unsightly scars on your body.
Having a scar on your body can greatly affect your esteem. It can make you feel not confident about your appearance – which in turn can affect how well you talk to and work with other people.
I mean, if you can’t feel free to wear shorts or skirts again, how can you feel free to live a full life?
Therefore, when you can get rid of your scars, you can reclaim a lost part of your esteem, and a huge part of your personal power.
- The Best Scar Creams
- 1 – Mederma Scar Cream with SPF
- 2 – Scarguard MD
- 3 – Scar Zone Advanced Cream
- 4 – Scar Away Scar Repair Gel
- 5 – Celsus Bio Scar Cream
- 6 – Scarology
- 7 – ZENMED Skin Eraser Kit
- 8 – Revitol Scar Removal Cream
- 9 – Selevax Scar Cream
- 10 – Nuobisong
- Other Notable Scar Creams
- Feel Fully Confident Again About Your Looks
- Frequently Asked Questions:
The Best Scar Creams
The challenge is in finding a product that works for your particular body chemistry.
Everybody’s chemistry is different. The same treatment used by two people can give vastly different results. It might work wonders for you, but it might also do nothing even after you’ve used it.
There are various types of treatments to remove unsightly scars. However, we will only take a look at scar removal treatment using creams. The advantage to using cream is that it doesn’t cost hundreds or thousands of dollars to remove scars like surgery would.
In our research, we have found ten of the most popular scar removal creams. These are the creams that are being used by many people, so you can find out if they work or not from the reviews, testimonials and success stories.
1 – Mederma Scar Cream with SPF
- -Mederma Advanced Scar Gel is the first and only 1X daily topical gel formulated to help reduce the appearance of old and new scars
- -More doctors and pharmacists recommended Mederma than any other brand for older and newer scars
- -Clinically shown to improve the overall appearance, color, and texture of scars
- -Works for many types of scars, including acne scars, surgery scars, and scars from burns, cuts, and other injuries
Editor Rating: 4.3
Mederma Scar Cream with SPF can be used to reduce both new and old scars. If it is a new scar, you put it on 3 times a day for 8 weeks. If it is an old scar, you need at least 3 to 6 months. There is 20g of non-grease gel in each tube, and the SPF 30 active ingredients serve to prevent sunburn. It protects your scar from harmful rays and keeps it moisturized.
You should note that this product can only reduce a scar, not eliminate it. It’s main use is for surgical scars, but you can use it on acne scars too. It’s especially effective on keloid scars.
One negative note about this cream is that it has a distinct odour to it, so it might smell. One customer reported seeing no results after using it for a month. Be sure to use it for the recommended 8 weeks.
2 – Scarguard MD
- Guards against new scars forming
- Flattens and shrinks old scars
- Easy, brush-on, nearly invisible formula
Editor Rating: 4.0
Scarguard MD combines vitamin E with advanced ingredients (such as 12% silicone and hydrocortisone 0.5%) into an easy to use, brush on solution. After you put on the clear liquid, it dries quickly and forms a waterproof, almost invisible layer to protect your scar. You can use it to heal surgery, injury scars, and also minor skin irritations, inflammation and rashes.
Since the layer looks like paper on your skin, this product is best used on body parts that aren’t visible to the public. One customer used it for 6 months and her scar is very minimal. Another customer used it for his surgery scar and it shrank to half the size in only 2 days – after a week the scar was gone.
One thing you should note is this liquid smells like nail polish. The smell comes from a disinfectant to prevent bacteria being trapped underneath the formed layer. If you don’t mind the odour and use it on a concealed body part, then this product is a great fit for you.
3 – Scar Zone Advanced Cream
- 2 Pieces - 0.75 Ounce (22ml)
- Effective On Both Old & New Scars
- Softens And Smoothes Scar Tissue
- Hydrates To Restore Elasticity
Editor Rating: 4.0
ScarZone Advanced Cream receives a rating similar to Scarguard MD. There is a high interest for this product, but we did not find many testimonials for it (unlike the other popular products we review). This cream contains moisturizers and silicone to keep your skin hydrated and elastic, two skin qualities that are important to help the healing of scars.
To get the best effect from this cream, you should use it for at least eight weeks if your scar is new. If your scar is old, then you may have to wait three to six months before you start seeing results. What’s interesting about this cream is that we didn’t find any reports of side effects, but that doesn’t mean it is free from any side effects.
From the limited customer reviews we found, one user said she eliminated years of acne damage on her face. If you have suffered years of acne scars, then this cream may be the right one for you. But do take care because we found that ScarZone Advanced Cream may make your face oily.
4 – Scar Away Scar Repair Gel
- 100% Silicone Scar Gel
- Ideal for use on any part of the body, even exposed or hard-to-treat areas such as: Face, Ears, Neck, Scalp, Arms, Hands, Joint Areas
- Prevents & Treats Scars
- Visibly improves the appearance of both old and new scars
- Safe and Effective. Recommended duration of treatment is 60-90 days
Editor Rating: 3.9
ScarAway Scar Repair Gel forms a protective, flexible, breathable and waterproof layer on your skin once you apply it. It consists of 100% self drying form of silicone, which is made up of Polysiloxanes and Silicone Dioxide. Each 20g tube is enough for 90 days treatment for both old and new scars.
The main benefit of using silicone gel is that it is a clear and odorless therapy. You can use this gel to treat hypertrophic and keloid scars from surgery, trauma or other wounds including burns. You can use it also to diminish acne scarring. Apply it twice each day as a very thin coat for 2-3 months. It can reduce the redness of your scar and improve it’s cosmetic appearance.
According to Scar Away, 80% of patients rate this gel as good or very good. It can take several weeks to see results. One customer saw a difference in just 2 weeks; another customer used it for 3 months on her 3 year old scar and it did not work.
5 – Celsus Bio Scar Cream
- The best scar removal treatment with 22 active ingredients utilizing Peptide Technology with Tamanu, Gotu Kola, Helichrysum, MSM, CoQ10 and many more
- Very effective on New and Old Scars, Acne Scars, Stretch Marks, Age Spots, and Wrinkles
- Powerful anti-oxidant, anti-aging, regenerative, and moisturizing properties
- The highest quality natural ingredients so you can use it on an ongoing basis and it's not greasy or messy, won't clog your pores, can be worn under make-up
- Is safe for children
Editor Rating: 3.9
Celsus Bio Scar Cream is unique among its competitors because it is the only brand that claims it uses certified organic botanicals. There are no artificial chemicals, preservatives or fragrances used in the ingredients of this cream. It also contains active ingredients that acts as powerful antioxidants to lessen the appearance of aging.
You can use this cream for many types of scars, including skin wrinkles and blemishes. The directions recommend you to use Celsus Bio for at least six week (180 days) on new scars and up to eight weeks (240 days) on old scars to see results. The good news is that one tube of this cream can last quite a while, though you will still need multiple tubes to get the most benefit.
A customer reports that she managed to get rid of scars on her face within just one week. That is quite a fast time compared to most results people get when using scar creams although it can’t be taken as the norm. There is a report that a customer had an acne breakout after using this cream, so it isn’t without side effects.
6 – Scarology
- Innovative scar fade treatment system for use on old and new scars
- Recommended by doctors: dermatologist, plastic surgeons, OB/GYNs, general surgeons, orthopedic surgeons
- Ingredients: purified water, glycolic acid, xanthum gum, lactic acid, pyruvic acid, squalene, silicone, betula alba, salix alba, hyaluronic acid
- Perfect for surgical scars following plastic surgery, removal of skin cancer, Mohs surgery, C-section, reconstructive surgery, trauma
- Doctor created. Clinically proven. Safe. Easy to use. 1-2-3. Effective. Satisfaction guaranteed.
Editor Rating: 3.8
Scarology is made by a physician husband and wife duo. Their product is different than others because they offer a complete, 3-in-1 solution for total scar removal. The Scarology bundle consists of a fruit acid exfoliator, a scar treatment cream, and silicone scar sheets. The company recommends different treatments depending on what type of scar you have (if you have a severe scar, you need the complete package).
You use the exfoliator in the morning, the cream during the day, and the silicone sheets before sleep. Using this treatment, a mother was able to heal her daughter’s scar: it was 50% less visible within a week. Another mother used it to heal a burn scar on her 2-year old daughter within three months.
If you’re looking for a complete scar treatment package, then Scarology offers it. However, it’s one of the most expensive options among other scar creams on our list. The company does offer a satisfaction guarantee and gives you a refund if the product doesn’t suit your skin.
7 – ZENMED Skin Eraser Kit
- This granular formulation is based in a mineral-heavy clay designed specifically to provide intensive dermabrasion on the surface of the skin. Does not leave any...
Editor Rating: 3.8
The ZENMED Skin Eraser Kit is not the same as other products we review because it is two products bundled into one kit. It consists of the Renewing Dermabrasion Complex and SKINCORRECT+ products from ZENMED, a company that makes many different kinds of skin care products.
The main application for this kit is as an exfoliator similar to what you would get from a skin peeling treatment from a clinic. It’s good to exfoliate your skin, and you can use it to treat scars also. But we didn’t find many reports from people who used it as a scar treatment instead of an exfoliator.
One woman was able to prevent a pimple from popping up overnight by using this kit. Similar to some of the products on this page, some customers got acne breakouts after using ZENMED Skin Eraser. If you’re looking for a bundle that can act not only as a scar treatment but also skin exfoliator, then this products is a good fit for you.
8 – Revitol Scar Removal Cream
- Remove Acne Scars
- Remove Scars Caused By Surgery
- Remove Scars From Cuts, Gashes and Bruises
- Erase Sun Damage
- Reduce The Appearance of Scars as Much as 20 Years Old!
Editor Rating: 3.7
You can use Revitol Scar Removal Cream to heal acne scars and also scars from surgery and injury. It consists of natural ingredients that rely on proteins and vitamins to strengthen your skin. It works by helping your skin’s natural ability to regenerate to remove the scars.
The way to apply it is twice or three times daily. If you use it sparingly, one jar can last you a while, although one customer had to use 3 jars to get results. This cream is especially useful for acne scars.
What you should note about Revitol Cream is that it has a distinct “funky” smell from the ingredients inside it. If you apply it on open wounds (such as cuts), it will burn slightly. The cream also tends to crumble if you put it on too lightly.
9 – Selevax Scar Cream
- SMOOTH SKIN NEVER FELT SO GOOD - Our amazing natural scar cream works deep down to get rid of the appearance of scars & gives you clear, smooth skin. Make the...
- YOUR PARTNER WON'T BELIEVE YOUR SMOOTHER, CLEARER LOOK - Selevax's powerful scar removal cream and acne scar treatment works on the face, abs, back, chest, knees,...
- EVERY JAR SOLD HELPS A CHILD IN NEED - We don't just sell an amazing scar remover cream, we want to make the world a better place too. A portion of the proceeds of...
- IT'S SAFE AND EASY TO USE - Selevax is made in the USA in a FDA registered facility to ensure safety and potency. Simply apply twice a day to get rid of dark spots...
- GET READY TO FALL IN LOVE - You are the going to love Selevax Scar Cream. We know you're a big deal, and we'll do everything we can to make sure your completely...
Editor Rating: 3.6
Selevax Scar Cream is made by a company with a conscience. This product uses manufacturing that is cruelty-free (no animal testing) and it forwards a part of each sale to a foundation that helps children. Certainly this policy gets some brownie points, but is the cream as good as their conscience?
The answer is that this is a good cream that competes well with other creams we review. You should use Selevax for up to 60 days to get results, especially if you are treating an old scar. Other than as a scar removal, you can use this cream as a moisturizer. Keeping your skin moisturized helps to keep a healthy skin to promote rapid scar healing.
One woman succeeded in shrinking her scar within one week of using this cream. You may want to use a different product if you have oily skin though, as some customers experience acne breakouts after using Selevax. Although this cream is more expensive than others, the good news is that this company gives a 90-day money back guarantee so you can ask for a refund if the product doesn’t deliver its promises.
10 – Nuobisong
- Nuobisong Face Care Acne Scar Removal Cream Acne Spots Skin Care Acne Treatment Whitening Face Cream Stretch Marks Moisturizing
Editor Rating: 3.5
Nuobisong, a scar cream that has an Asian sounding name to it, is made by a company in Philippines. The name is Nuobisong cream, but it is actually gel, similar to ScarAway Scar Repair Gel. The tube consists of an amount of gel that customers think is too small and runs out fast.
The gel contains ingredients that increase blood circulation and help increase perspiration to release toxins from the skin. It’s recommended to use this product for 28 days to get results. A customer was able to reduce their acne scars by 80% after using Nuobisong.
Other Notable Scar Creams
- Dermefface FX7 Diminish Scars by Skinception [Beauty] [Misc.]
Dermefface FX7 can be used to treat a variety of scars, including acne, burn, surgery, accident and even chicken pox scars. Similar to other creams listed above, you apply it twice daily. This is the only cream so far to receive a celebrity endorsement from a top American model.
The formula is free from odour and is absorbed quickly by your skin. One customer reports that her scar lightened in colour within the first month. Even so, it is recommended that you use it for 3 to 6 months to get the best results. This product may not work if you have a large sized surgical scar.
Feel Fully Confident Again About Your Looks
As you can see, there are no guarantees that any of these scar treatment creams will work for you. What you can be assured of is that these are more affordable solutions that surgery. All of these creams can be bought over the counter, meaning you can get them without prescription from a doctor.
Most of the scar creams require that you use it for 2-6 months, depending on whether you have a new or old scar. This means you might need to buy several tubes or jars at once, which can add up to a big amount of money. Even so, it is still not as expensive as an invasive procedure.
In conclusion, scar creams take some time to work but they are still a low cost alternative for removing unsightly scars. The 5 creams above are among the most popular and best selling in the market today. I recommend you to choose one so you can start healing your scars and return to feeling full confidence about your appearance.
Frequently Asked Questions:
This section is to help answer questions frequently asked by the community. If you have a question you would like to ask, please write it in the comment section below and we will answer promptly.
When is the Best Time to Apply Scar Cream?
The best time to apply scar cream is when the wound has healed (not an open wound). Before the wound has healed, keep your skin well hydrated and moist.
Depending on the wound, it may take several weeks before you can apply the cream. If the scar is because of surgery, apply treatment after all of the incisions are fully closed. It may take around five or six weeks after surgery.
Do scar creams work?
It has been proven that if the wound is kept moist and covered all the time, the tendency to form a bad scar decreases. Most scar creams do the same thing while making the scars softer, smoother, and less noticeable.
Scars appear in the process of forming new connective tissue and recovering the damaged one can sometimes take a little longer than expected. Most scar creams available on the market promote wound healing while improving their overall appearance, color, and texture.
Most scar creams available on the market promote wound healing while improving their overall appearance, color, and texture.
What is the best scar cream for a deep scar?
Wound healing is a complex process that occurs in almost all tissues after damage, aiming at repairing a lost or injured tissue.
The best cream for deep scar treatment contains ingredients promoting tissue regeneration. Such products contain skin restoring ingredients, such as CoEnzyme Q10 (Ubiquinone), D-panthenol, Hyaluronic Acid, Niacinamide (Vitamin B3), Quercetin, Vitamin E, Phytosterols.
How do anti-scarring creams work?
Such products intensively moisturize, nourish, protect the skin, and promote tissue healing.
They are usually concentrated with antioxidants & natural vitamins and contain anti-inflammatory and hypoallergenic ingredients, so they don’t provoke any irritation to the skin.
What is a good scar cream for year old cutting scars?
Even the deepest and operative wounds can, can be dramatically diminished after starting a proper treatment.
The silicone patches and gels are the most effective for deep, broad and relief scars. The sooner you start treating the wound, the better the result will be.
Their mechanism of action is incredibly simple – the silicone forms a protective coating on the injured area, it no longer has direct contact with the air and does not dry out.
Consequently, the excessive growth of the new connective tissue decreases and provokes the regeneration process. This way the scar does not differ dramatically from the surrounding skin.
What is the ingredient in scar cream that can help my scar get better?
There are lots of natural ingredients in a scar removal cream’s content – they have moisturizing properties.
However, the chemical ingredients included in such formulas provide with more efficient results; these components aim to soften and flatten the scar.
The combination of natural and chemically developed ingredients provides with best results.
- Cepalin: Extracted from onions, cephalin is a natural compound commonly used for its antibacterial and anti-inflammatory properties.
- Alpha Hydroxyl Acids (AHAs): The exfoliating action of A.H.A. unifies the relief of the epidermis and stimulates the regeneration of the cells.
- Silicone: The technology of this pharmaceutical ingredient smoothes and softens the scar tissue, helping to fade and erase new and old scars. It can be used as a preventative therapy on closed wounds to minimize scarring or after laser treatment.
- Glycerin soothes and moisturizes without the unpleasant sensation of grease that creates the oils, even the lightest ones, and it also creates an invisible protective layer against the aggression of the environment.
Creams can be indeed helpful in restoring the damaged tissue and leaving no visible scars. They work by exfoliating the scarred area so that new skin can grow and replace it.
Such creams usually have high anti-inflammatory properties to prevent further acne outbreaks.
Last update on 2018-05-21 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API