Last updated: November 2019
Based on the latest clinical trials and medical research we have changed our recommendations on the most effective scar removal creams. We used to recommend Mederma since its active ingredient – onion extract – is very efficient in the scar treatment process.
However the latest research and the countless emails I receive from our readers and their experience with scar healing point that the medical grade silicon-based creams are even more effective in the scar healing process. This is why NewGel+ is currently the best scar removal cream you can buy. I have cited the research papers and clinical trials in the cream review below.
The Best Scar Removal Creams [Based on clinical trials]
Having a scar on your body can greatly affect your esteem. It can make you feel less confident about your appearance – which in turn can affect how well you talk to and work with other people.
The challenge is finding the best scar removal cream that works for your body chemistry and skin type.
Everybody’s chemistry is different. The same treatment used by two people can give vastly different results. It might work wonders for you, but it might also do nothing even after you’ve used it as recommended.
In our research, we review ten of the most popular scar removal creams based on their ingredients, clinical trials and reviews from real people who have used them on their scars. These scar removal creams were used by many people, so you can find out if they work or not from the reviews, testimonials and before/after photos.
1. NewGel+E – Best for surgical scars and burns
- Works on all types of scars
- Proven by clinical studies
- Contains Medical-grade Silicone gel + Vitamin E
- Results can be observed after a short period of application
NewGel+E is a topical silicone-based scar gel with clinically proven benefits in the treatment of scars.
NewGel+E is a combination of only two ingredients: Polymerized Siloxanes (medical-grade silicon) and Tocopherol (vitamin E). The medical-grade silicone covers and protects the affected area from the environmental irritants, it successfully reduces the size and improves the texture and color of the damaged tissue. The other active ingredient, Tocopherol provides a deep moisturizing effect and has a strong antioxidant activity.
According to both clinical trials and patients’ reviews, NewGel+E is effective for the treatment of newer and older scars and those who posted pictures of their recovery had impressive results. What makes this gel formula more interesting, compared to competitive scar removal creams is that NewGel+E appears to reduce the appearance of scars, which are years old, even if the tissue is severely damaged.
Another positive aspect is that the formula seems beneficial for a wide variety of scar formations, including keloids, burns, and scars from trauma, hypertrophic procedures, cosmetic procedures, abdominoplasty, general surgery, C-section, and contractures.
The formula is often prescribed by plastic surgeons and dermatologists, as it is 100% safe, it does not provoke adverse skin reactions and is fragrance-free. All these characteristics make it a more reliable option compared to the super expensive alternatives with no clinical background.
NewGel+E has an indeed promising reputation among patients – almost 80% ranked it an excellent product. Some posted before and after pictures showing impressive improvements:
Here’s a 37-year-old man who had a serious accident, leaving him with multiple stitches:
I have been putting it on the scar 1x a day for 4 to 5 months
Another patient who undergone cervical neck surgery managed to improve the condition of his scars to the point they became almost invisible:
This stuff really works… The trick is to use it every day twice a day.
Below you can see the improvement of a woman with severe keloid scarring:
A woman who undergone a Mohs surgery managed to almost completely erase her facial scar:
The only thing to remember is that after applying the scar removal gel, you should leave it for a couple of minutes until it dries out completely! NewGel is not a scar removal – it is a transparent, odorless formula that will constantly keep the area affected hydrated while promoting the faster healing and regeneration of the damaged skin cells.
The benefits of this scar gel and the ingredients it contains are tested and proven by multiple clinical trials, and the experience of hundreds of scar patients, which makes it the most effective scar healing formula you can currently find on the market.
2. Puriderma Scar Removal Cream
- Packed with natural ingredients and proven scar fading compounds
- Moisturizes the affected area and provides constant protection
- Alleviates the common symptoms of redness, irritation and discomfort
- Tested and trusted by hundreds of patients
Higher prices do not necessarily guarantee good quality. This is the case with PuriDerma cream – an unpretentious formula for the management of scar formations of all types.
We have chosen this scar removal cream because of the potent, yet harmless natural ingredients in it and the results it provided for hundreds of satisfied patients.
According to both manufacturer and people who used PuriDerma cream, a visible reduction, and fading of newer scars can be obtained within 4 weeks. If the scars are older, however, it may take up to 8 weeks until you start seeing an improvement.
There is no other formula for scar management with such a positive reputation among customers – almost 90% of all patients who shared their experience with this PuriDerma product, are indeed satisfied with their results. The affordable price combined with high efficacy made hundreds of people recommend this scar removal cream to family and friends.
The potent blend of Aloe Leaf, Chamomile, and Dandelion extract, combined with Allantoin, makes this formula super beneficial in the management of scars. When applied topically, it provides deep skin hydration, accelerates the process of skin regeneration and provides strong anti-inflammatory and antioxidant activity.
Patients of all ages shared their improvements and here we are going to show you just some of the success stories we found:
Here you can see the photos of someone who successfully managed to erase the acne scars while reducing the sizes of the facial pores in just 2.5 weeks:
pictures speak for themselves
A woman got a nose piercing and then decided to take it out. She was afraid there will be an ugly scar left, so she started using PuriDerma scar removal cream to avoid the permanent damage. Here’s what she shares:
tried it and only about three weeks in and already noticing a huge improvement. This cream works very well
Below you can see the C-section scar of a woman, who was desperate after trying multiple other products for scar treatment and had little to no success:
Yes the lighting changed, but regardless you can tell the scars have drastically lightened and flattened.
The next comment you might find interesting is written by a woman who initially bought Puriderma to treat her scars on the arms.
However, she decided to use it for her facial scars as well and her improvement is quite inspiring:
I would try it on my face and not only had it cleared my scars my face looks and feels amazing
3. Aroamas Advanced Scar Gel
- 100% Medical grade silicone oil
- Fades scarring and alleviates itching, pain, and discomfort
- Noticeable improvements in less than 2 weeks
- Odorless, colorless, self-drying formula for fast results
Aroamas Gel is an interesting find on Amazon. This physician trusted formula is a combination of affordable price and excellent product performance makes it hard to believe scar removal can be that simple!
The easy to apply, fast-absorbing gel provided amazing effect for people with different types of scarring, including surgeries, burns, acne scars, stretch marks, and even insect bites.
Over 80% of people rated the formula an excellent, 5-star product. Many shared photos of their improvements:
A woman with a surgery scar managed to improve its appearance in as little as a few weeks. She’ll keep using the gel but so far so good:
After a bycicle injury, a man decided to give Aroamas Gel a try. The progress in his road rash are visible after only a month:
According to another comment, “The product obsorbs into your skin fast.It is improving the scar as time goes on.”
Aroamas seems to work great on acne scars as well. Here’s a picture of a woman who managed to erase scars on her forehead in less than 2 months:
Note that these are just a small part of all the positive feedback people left in the review section. You can see hundreds of positive comments regarding the effect of Aroamas Gel in the review section on Amazon.
The features people like the most about this scar removal gel include its cheaper price, no greasy residue, fast absorption, gentle, suitable for all skin types and people of all ages (including kinds and elderly people).
4. XScar Treatment with Vitamin E
- Clinically proven to increases hydration of the stratum corneum
- The formula is created by doctors
- Medical grade silicon + Vitamin E
- Optimal performance on scars created within 1 year
- Made in the USA with “Love it or send it back” policy
The problem with most scar removal creams and gels are that they are mixtures of different ingredients that might make the scarring less visible. They don’t work for everybody, they are not supported by clinical data, while their prices are often unacceptably high.
Two doctors specialized in the treatment of scars decided to develop a formula, that will meet patients requirements for effective, evidence-based scar management. This is why, XScar Treatment contains 100% medical-grade silicone, proven effective in the management of both newer and older scar formations. It deeply moisturizes the area affected, without leaving a greasy or sticky residue.
Scar patients are very satisfied with their results, most of them bought XScar Treatment after receiving recommendations from their plastic surgeons or dermatologists:
A lady, who recently undergone a cervical fusion surgery shares her satisfaction with her improvement:
Within a short amount of time I have experienced noticeable results in the appearance and texture of my scar
5. Mederma Scar Gel
- Clinical studies show visible improvements in the appearance of scars
- Recommended application – only once a day
- Packed with Allantoin and Onion extract, both proven to regenerate the damaged tissue
Mederma is the budget-friendly scar removal method to reduce both new and old scars.
If it is a new scar, you put it on 3 times a day for 8 weeks.
If it is an old scar, you need at least 3 to 6 months. There is 20g of non-grease gel in each tube, preventing the further development of scars while treating the damaged tissue. It protects your scar from harmful the harmful sunrays and keeps it well moisturized.
You should note that Mederma can only reduce a scar, but not completely eliminate it. It is still one of the best scar removal creams out there, thanks to the proven ingredients it contains (Onion Extract. Allantoin, Lecithin and other ingredients with a proven beneficial effect in the management of scars). Its main use is for surgical and trauma scars, but you can use it on acne scars too. Mederma is especially effective on keloid scars.
One negative note about this scar removal cream is that it has a distinct odor because of the onion extract, so keep that in mind before ordering it. One customer reported seeing no results after using it for a month. Be sure to use it for at 8 weeks – the minimal period recommended.
An acne sufferer shared the results she obtained within 8 weeks – her acne scars and hyperpigmentation on the cheeks disappeared:
It has worked like magic on both the new and old scars.
The below pictures show the improvement of a surgery scar in less than 10 days:
I totaly feel there is a great improvement with only 10 days of use
A woman received a scar on her chin after the consecutive application of undiluted tea tree oil. Thankfully, she successfully erased the scar after using Mederma for less than a month:
I got this scar from applying to much tea tree oil to a cold sore and then to some skin around it, then got the scar
Another scar patient with a severe burn scar managed to restore the condition of her skin within 8.5 weeks:
I’m very pleased with the results, worked like a charm!
Below you can see how trauma scars heal while using Mederma:
6. Scarology Scar Removal System
- Clinically proven and recommended by dermatologists
- Good for removal of skin cancer, surgical scars following plastic surgery, Mohs surgery, C-section, reconstructive surgery, trauma
- Medical grade silicone
- Effective On Both Old & New Scars
- Softens And Smoothes Scar Tissue
- Hydrates To Restore Elasticity
- Hydrates To Restore Elasticity
8. ScarAway Scar Repair Gel
ScarAway Scar Repair Gel forms a protective, flexible, breathable and waterproof layer on your skin once you apply it.
9. Celsus Bio Scar Treatment Cream
- 22 active ingredients utilizing Peptide Technology with Tamanu, Gotu Kola, Helichrysum, MSM, CoQ10
- The highest quality natural ingredients so you can use it on an ongoing basis
- Powerful anti-oxidant, anti-aging, regenerative, and moisturizing properties
- Very effective on new and old scars, acne scars, stretch marks
- Safe for children
10. Scarguard MD Scar Repair Liquid
Scarguard MD combines vitamin E with advanced ingredients (such as 12% silicone and hydrocortisone 0.5%) into an easy to use, brush on the solution.
Frequently Asked Questions:
This section is to help answer questions frequently asked by the community. If you have a question you would like to ask, please write it in the comment section below and we will answer promptly.
When is the Best Time to Apply a Scar Removal Cream?
The best time to apply scar removal cream is when the wound has healed (not an open wound). Before the wound has healed, keep your skin well hydrated and moist.
Depending on the wound, it may take several weeks before you can apply the cream. If the scar is because of surgery, apply treatment after all of the incisions are fully closed. It may take around five or six weeks after surgery.
Do scar removal creams work?
It has been proven that if the wound is kept moist and covered all the time, the tendency to form a bad scar decreases. Most scar removal creams do the same thing while making the scars softer, smoother, and less noticeable.
Scars appear in the process of forming new connective tissue and recovering the damaged one can sometimes take a little longer than expected. Most scar creams available on the market promote wound healing while improving their overall appearance, color, and texture.
Most scar removal creams available on the market promote wound healing while improving their overall appearance, color, and texture.
Which is the best cream for facial scars?
The facial skin is more fragile than the other body skin. This is why, you should consider buying a milder, less aggressive formula, containing less potential irritants.
You can either use anti-scar creams, specially formulated for the (usually) uncovered body areas, such as face and hands. They are a combination of scar reducing and sun protection ingredients. We recommend using BioCorneum Plus SPF30 – a scar removal cream, specially developed for the most sensitive skin. It is fragrance-free, paraben-free, sensitivity-free and noncomedogenic – everything you need for the delicate skin of the face.
What are the ingredients in an anti-scar cream that can help my scar get better?
There are lots of natural ingredients in a scar removal cream’s content – they have moisturizing properties.
However, the chemical ingredients included in such formulas provide with more efficient results; these components aim to soften and flatten the scar.
The combination of natural and chemically developed ingredients provides with best results.
- Cepalin – Extracted from onions, cephalin is a natural compound commonly used for its antibacterial and anti-inflammatory properties.
- Alpha Hydroxyl Acids (AHAs) – The exfoliating action of A.H.A. unifies the relief of the epidermis and stimulates the regeneration of the cells.
- Silicone – The technology of this pharmaceutical ingredient smoothes and softens the scar tissue, helping to fade and erase new and old scars. It can be used as a preventative therapy on closed wounds to minimize scarring or after laser treatment.
- Glycerin – soothes and moisturizes without the unpleasant sensation of grease that creates the oils, even the lightest ones, and it also creates an invisible protective layer against the aggression of the environment.
- Hydroquinone – Its function is to clear the skin of darker areas that could come as a result of scar tissue formation. It will lighten your skin substantially in a manner which will not interfere with the recovery process. Simultaneously, hydroquinone is considered to clear the skin of fine lines, dryness, and some types of acne.
- Vitamin E – While looking for a good cream for scars, make sure Vitamin E is one of the ingredients. Vitamin E aids the body to heal open or closed injuries whilst speeding up the level of cell regrowth inside of all skin layers.
- Dimethylaminoethanol – This component can be present in most of the scar creams and justifiably so. Dimethylaminoethanol reduces skin pigmentation and dark spots during the healing process.
- Copper Peptide – Some scar removal creams use copper peptide in their formulas to improve the elasticity of the skin and the scar tissue during the regeneration process. It can be used with little to no side effects for a long period of time.
Last update on 2019-11-14 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API