The video above shows how to use Scarguard.
Here are the pros and cons of Scarguard MD:
- What is Scarguard MD?
- What are the Ingredients?
- How Do You Use the Silicone Liquid?
- Are There Any Side Effects?
- What Do the Customer Reviews Say?
- Comparison to Other Brands
- Where Can You Buy Scarguard MD?
- Comes in liquid form that is invisible
- Created by a plastic surgeon
- Easy to use and dries quickly on skin
- One customer had 50% scar reduction after only two days
- Typically takes 2-4 months to see changes
- The silicone sheet can be noticeable if scar is on visible skin (e.g face)
- Liquid has odor like nail polish
What is Scarguard MD?
Scarguard MD is different than other scar treatments. When most other products come in the form of creams/ointments/gels, this product is in a liquid form. According to independent clinical studies, it is one of the most effective products to help with the process of healing your scar. It is a treatment used by many dermatologists since it can diminish the appearance of your scar by more than 50%.
From the “Scarguard Screening Study” by Eric W. Smith, Ph. D, it is concluded that:
The implication from this observation is that Scarguard is delivering more corticosteroid in a given period than conventional topical dosage forms containing equivalent amounts of hydrocortisone.
This means that Scarguard works more efficiently than other treatments at the same amount.
This product was created by a plastic surgeon to treat the toughest scars his patients had. You can use it to heal hypertrophic and keloid scars from accidents, burns, injuries, and surgery. You can also use it to diminish acne scars. The liquid works better on new scars, but you can also use it to heal older ones.
The liquid is easy to use and dries quickly on your skin in less than 30 seconds. Once it dries, the liquid forms a waterproof and nearly invisible ultra-thin silicone sheet. The sheet doesn’t need an adhesive to stay on your skin since it attaches to the skin surface and induces your body’s own natural ability to start healing. It becomes a second skin that works 24 hours a day to protect and heal your scar.
The benefit of a liquid form is that it doesn’t rub off or peel off like creams or ointments. The dried silicone sheet will stick even when you sweat or get wet in the shower. The way to take it off is by peeling it using Scotch tape.
What are the Ingredients?
This product uses patented SG5 technology which combines 5 different ingredients into one liquid:
- Cortisone, which uses 0.5% low strength hydrocortisone as an active ingredient to help reduce irritation or itching that usually comes with scarring
- Topical silicone that helps to shrink scar tissue by relying on the body’s natural healing mechanism
- Vitamin E that softens and adds moisture to the scar
- Scar Prevention which helps to reduce the formation of scar tissue
- Scar Protection which helps to form a protective sheet on your skin
How Do You Use the Silicone Liquid?
You can get this product in a 0.5 oz or 1 oz (30 ml) premium bottle. You apply the liquid once in the morning after you wake up and once at night before you sleep. If your scar is new, make sure it has healed completely (it usually takes 2 weeks for surgical or trauma scars to close). If your scar is old, you can use the liquid immediately.
The directions on how to use this product is as follows:
- Clean your wound with mild soap water and dry it thoroughly
- Put on the liquid using the included brush and allow 1 minute to dry
- If the dried liquid peels off, you can reapply it again
You should note that results take time. Although some customers report seeing a change in their scar within days of using Scarguard MD, it typically takes 2 to 4 months to start seeing noticeable changes. You shouldn’t be discouraged if you haven’t seen results, since your skin is different and may take a bit more time than other cases.
This product is best used on body parts that aren’t visible to the public. If it is on your face, arms, or legs, the silicone sheet can still become noticed by other people. Although you can put make up over the sheet, it still makes a visible mark (like a lump) on your skin.
Are There Any Side Effects?
You should avoid using this product on children less than 2 years old. If you have a child between 2 or 12 years old who has a scar, talk to a doctor before you use it on them. Make sure the liquid doesn’t come in contact with sensitive areas of your body, such as your mucous membranes or eyes.
There are no significant side effects from using this product. The only complaint is that when you use it, your skin might get a little itchy and it might sting. Another complaint is that the liquid has a strong odour like nail polish because of the antiseptic properties, but this smell disappears within several seconds after you put it on.
What Do the Customer Reviews Say?
If you are wondering what kind of results you can expect before and after using this product, here is a short list of several reviews from customers that I’ve compiled. First, here are a few complaints:
- One customer complained the liquid was very dry, and didn’t stick to her skin at all
- A customer said the dried silicone sheet started peeling off after 10 minutes, and within a few hours it has completely come off
- Another customer complained that the liquid formed a skinlike scab over her scars, and she has to spend 7 minutes each morning and night to remove the scabs with her fingers
As for the positive reviews, here they are:
- A shopper who had a keloid scar from cryosurgery reported that her scar shrunk double it’s size within only 2 days of using Scarguard MD
- Another customer reported that they managed to erase hypertrophic scars beneath each eye in a matter of 5 weeks
- One customer was in a bad accident, and after 2 months of using this product her scar has shrunk significantly – and she is no longer so self-conscious about her scar
- A customer reported using this liquid for 3 months, and the scar on his forehead is barely visible
- Another customer who has had a 49 year old scar, used the product and in just 4 months the scar has become 90% less visible
In other words, you can expect anywhere from 50% to 90% reduction of your scar within 2 to 120 days.
Comparison to Other Brands
Scarguard MD VS ScarAway
Both Scarguard MD and ScarAway Scar Repair Gel are gel products that form a thin silicone sheet when you apply it. They both use silicone in their ingredients and a minimum amount of other compounds (if any). The difference is that Scarguard MD comes in a 0.5 oz tube, while ScarAway is 0.35 oz tube.
ScarAway is more expensive than Scarguard MD, but it has a slightly shorter recommended use time. There are no major reports of side effects for both products, other than itchy skin and a case of a rash break out. The use of only silicone and minimum other ingredients make both products have less side effects than other scar creams that blend many ingredients together.
Both products have many testimonials from customers. Some customers even get results within days of using Scarguard MD or ScarAway Repair Gel. Considering both are not different except for the price, we recommend Scarguard MD over ScarAway Scar Repair Gel. But if you want to take a look at other choices, you can read our ScarAway Repair Gel review.
Scarguard VS Scar Zone
Unlike Scarguard that uses minimum ingredients, Scar Zone Advanced Cream uses many ingredients like most creams we review on our site. You can apply Scarguard instantly, while Scar Zone requires you to massage the cream for a few minutes. This massage action is good because it encourages blood flow to your skin.
Scar Zone requires around three to six months of use for old scars while Scarguard MD needs less time. There aren’t that many testimonials about Scar Zone when compared to Scarguard. Both are good at treating scars but Scarguard has more testimonials reporting success than reports about Scar Zone.
Scarguard has a higher price than Scar Zone. We recommend Scarguard MD over Scar Zone Advanced Cream because there are testimonials that support the effectiveness of Scarguard. But if you want to look at the other option, then Scar Zone Advanced cream is one you should review.
Scarguard MD VS Mederma
We have done a discussion comparing Scarguard MD vs Mederma.
Where Can You Buy Scarguard MD?
If you are wondering whether Scarguard MD is better than other scar treatments, you can compare it with other products on this page. Other products that are worth considering as an alternative choice include Mederma Scar Cream and ScarAway Scar Repair Gel with Kelo-cote technology.
You can purchase this product from the official website, your local pharmacy, retail stores, or online stores. If you purchase it from the website, you can return the product and get a refund within 90 days of your purchase.
You can find coupons to buy this product at a lesser price by taking a look at various online retailers. These retailers often have a deal when you purchase from their site.
How Does Scarguard MD Compare?
|Mederma Scar Cream||4.3||90-180 Days||Many||Buy on Amazon|
|Scarguard MD||4.0||60-120 Days||Many||Buy on Amazon|
|Scar Zone Advanced||4.0||180-360 Days||Few||Buy on Amazon|
|ScarAway Scar Repair Gel||3.9||60-90 Days||Many||Buy on Amazon|
|Celsus Bio Scar Cream||3.9||180-240 Days||Many||Buy on Amazon|
|Revitol Scar Cream||3.7||14-56 Days||A Few||Buy on Amazon|
|Selevax Scar Cream||3.6||30-60 Days||Many||Buy on Amazon|