In the video above, Columbus, Ohio plastic surgeon Dr. Jeffrey Donaldson narrates this instructional video that shows how to apply medical-grade scar gel to a surgical scar.
In this review of Scar Repair Gel by Scar Away, we take a look at the pros and cons of this product:
- It is possible to start seeing results after only 2 or 3 weeks using this gel
- It is simple to put on
- It costs much cheaper than visiting a doctor
- One customer reported using the gel on her belly scar, and after 4 months the scar was 95% gone
(read more customer results below)
- This gel is considered one of the more expensive ones among scar treatment creams and gels that you can purchase over the counter
- You should wait until at least 60-90 days if you have not seen results yet
- In most cases, the gel is more effective at healing new scars
- Older scars that are several years old may take a much longer time to heal
- It is even possible that the gel may not have any effect on older scars and you may have to seek expert medical opinion
What is ScarAway Scar Repair Gel?
ScarAway Scar Repair Gel is a gel made from 100% silicone for scar treatment. You can use it to heal various types of scars, such as hypertrophic scars and keloids caused by injury, surgery, burns, and cosmetic procedures. It works on both old and new scars by using a patented Kelo-cote formula that forms into a waterproof sheet within minutes after you put it on. The sheet is flexible, breathable, lightweight, with no distinct odor.
One tube contains 10g or 0.35 oz of gel that can be used for a 90-day treatment of a scar 3-4 inches in size. The gel is proven to soften and flatten raised scars, while maintaining moisture and elasticity of nearby skin. Other benefits the gel has is it reduces redness and helps to ease your itching.
What Are the Ingredients?
This gel simply contains 100% silicone gel made from polysiloxanes and silicone dioxide. There are no other ingredients involved, which means that it is free from any filler components that don’t bring any additional benefit.
How Do You Use It?
The directions for using this gel is to apply it 2 times a day. Make sure the scar is clean and dry before you put on the gel. Apply it in a very thin layer and give it some time to dry. Once it is dry, you can put other creams or lotions on top of it, such as sunscreen or makeup. The resulting layer of gel is clear and mostly invisible – it won’t be more noticeable than your scar.
It’s recommended to use the gel for 60-90 days for best results. Don’t let the gel come into contact with your eyes, mucous membranes, or any areas that are still open wounds. You can’t use the gel if you are experiencing other skin conditions that ruin the integrity of your skin. If you aren’t sure whether you’re allowed to use this gel or not, talk to your personal dermatologist.
There are no significant side effects based on customer reports. The gel doesn’t burn your skin or make it peel. The most common complaint is that the gel takes a long time to dry and that it can stick to your clothes if you don’t let it dry before doing any activities. One customer reported that their skin broke out in a slight rash and that the gel made their skin itchy throughout the day.
Does It Really Work?
This gel is one of the most popular products for diminishing scars. To get a better picture, here is a short summary of several customer reviews that show the results you can expect by using this gel:
- A customer reported that their scar became totally flat and no longer a bump after only a few days of using the gel
- One customer used the gel on her new, 1 week old scar and within 2 weeks the scar was gone
- A customer used the gel on her 10 year old tummy tuck scar, and within 2 weeks the scar had smoothed out and are almost flat
- One customer used the gel to heal keloid scars on her body, and after less than 1 month it was gone
- One customer was glad to report that her post-thyroidectomy hypertrophic scar has flattened out on each side after only 6 weeks of using the gel
- One customer reported that her skin looks normal after using the gel for 8 weeks to remove a 1.5 inch scar.
- A customer used the gel for her breast surgery scar and after 2 months it was gone
- Another customer reports that her daughter’s surgery scar looks so much better (significantly less purple) after using the gel every night for 3 months
As you can see, based on customer reports, you can expect results as fast as a few days or as long as 4 months. Your results may vary because every person has different skin and different recovery speeds. Make sure to follow the directions above and use for at least 90 days to get the best results.
Comparison with Other Brands:
ScarAway VS Mederma
We have compared ScarAway VS Mederma here.
ScarAway VS Scarguard
We have made a comparison between ScarAway VS Scarguard here.
How Does ScarAway Scar Repair Gel Compare?
|Mederma Scar Cream||4.3||90-180 Days||Many||Buy on Amazon|
|Scarguard MD||4.0||60-120 Days||Many||Buy on Amazon|
|Scar Zone Advanced||4.0||180-360 Days||Few||Buy on Amazon|
|ScarAway Scar Repair Gel||3.9||60-90 Days||Many||Buy on Amazon|
|Celsus Bio Scar Cream||3.9||180-240 Days||Many||Buy on Amazon|
|Revitol Scar Cream||3.7||14-56 Days||A Few||Buy on Amazon|
|Selevax Scar Cream||3.6||30-60 Days||Many||Buy on Amazon|